Monday, August 24, 2009

ode to my crockpot . . .


I made a wonderful recipe yesterday. It was my daughter's 10-year-old birthday party for family and she had chosen French cuisine. Not being experienced and still being a regular non-fancy person, I decided to try a chicken cordon bleu recipe. Sadly, I had been storing items in my oven and off of my counter, forgot and lit the oven last week, burning the plastic Pampered Chef nesting bowls inside. Huge bummer on many fronts! Well, still needed to make dinner. My mother gave me a Chicken Cordon Bleu crockpot recipe which was simple and came out very well. I thought I would share.

Need:

Large package of fresh chicken breast, washed, trimmed and pounded flat (relatively)
1 lb. package of baked ham slices
1 lb. package of swiss cheese
Dill weed
Basil
Parsley
Salt
Pepper
1 c. white wine
1 can of fat-free cream of mushroom soup

Lay-out in large baking dish chicken breasts, top each breast with a slice of ham and a slice of cheese, sprinkle liberally with dill, basil, parsley, pepper and a bit of salt. Roll each breast and carefully place in bottom of large oval crock. Repeat. Mix white wine and soup -- pour over chicken. Cover entire dish with extra swiss. Cook for four hours on high, keep until ready to serve on low or warm. I transferred them all to a white serving dish and spooned out 'sauce' from the bottom of the crock over the breasts. They were very good and super-simple. I served a wild rice mix and young asparagus on the side with crusty French bread. Served five adults, three children and left enough for tonight. Ah, so nice to have dinner already ready . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment

oh so, well, appreciated! ;) loving those comments, friends!