Wednesday, September 23, 2009

when I grow up . . .

Skyscraper Museum, Scott Duncan, SOM
I asked my four-year-old what she wanted to be the other day.  "I want to be a Science Test!" she chirped.  So sweet.  Happy sigh.

My 10 year old?  A child who is intelligent, creative and driven.  She wants to be an architect working in New York City for Uncle Scott's firm.  My "Miss Precise."  Uncle Scott is a Director at SOM.  At 38, the youngest Director by decades.  Travels around the world.  Lives in a glamorous loft.  Works on massive projects.  Makes gigantic decisions.  Has teams of people working for him.

My 8 year old?  A professional chef who owns her own restaurant.  Coming from a child who LOVES Top Chef.  :)  She is my 'chopper".  My 'cooker'.  My 'money sorter'.  My "Miss Enthusiasm."

I wanted to be a veterinarian when I was younger.  Not original, I guess.  But, absolutely adored horses, dogs, guinea pigs, hamsters.  This was replaced during high school with my dream of becoming a reporter in Washington, D.C., followed by a strange vision of becoming a lobbyist during my college years.

I instead became a paralegal and transitioned while pregnant with my firstborn to becoming a full-time stay-at-home mom.

My days are jam-packed, just like everyone else's.  Car lines, music lessons, dance, baton, preschool, church, MOPS, Girl Scouts, neighbors, friends, family, laundry, groceries, dog, vacuuming, cleaning, washing dishes.

This wasn't exactly what I was going to 'be' when I grew up.  But, I am privileged to have this as my job.  It is an honor to be home with my family.  I try to do my "job" to the best of my ability.  I have to, at the end of the day, feel that this is enough.  It is enough simply to be "this" since I am now grown up.

Normally I am comfortable with this concept and satisfied with the impact I make on my family, my home and my community.  But, funny, I feel a little doubt there today.  It is not a feeling I like having.

So, I will return to putting away laundry, emptying the dishwasher and cleaning some baseboards.  All before I get in the car lines, two today, babysit a friend's daughter, run to the store for dinner, make dinner, get everyone to dance, homework, bath, brush teeth and get into bed.  And I will tell myself that this is enough.  What I am doing is making a difference.  'This' is what I should be.

It IS enough, isn't it?

7 comments:

  1. So cute. I can't believe they know what they want to be already. LOl My son changes his mind everyday. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, being a stay at home mom is one of the most important jobs you will ever have. My husband tells me that often. He says that so many people underestimate the importance and value of being a "housewife" The ability to run a household is such an important job! Taking care of your babies, raising them the way YOU see fit, not someone else... and taking care of the hubby. Yes, it is the most wonderful and important job anyone could ever have. (That's my opinion anyway) Be proud of your decision to be a stay at home mom, and know that YOU ARE making a difference!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's enough. They'll be days that you wonder, but it's enough. If you still get that nagging feeling it's not-- then you'll figure it out. =)

    Happy Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have the most rewarding job ever! That's coming from a fellow SAHM. (:

    My baby (14) wants to me a marriage counselor, because all of her friends come to her with relationship troubles. I giggle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know if my previous comment went through. Your girls are very ambitious...

    I was a legal secretary for years and got my paralegal certification but never ended up using it....

    And what you are doing IS enough :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Too cute- Kids say the darnest things-lol
    When I was younger I was to be olympic gymnast-- lol That didn't go very far-lol

    Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

    Kelly
    http://kellyannstudio.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are an amazing mom who is creating the foundation of love and support that your girls will stand and build upon for the rest of their lives. There is no more important job than that. You are also a most cherished sister and friend:-) You are the most giving person that I know. We don't get to laugh enough together, but you are always the person that I need to talk to when I am facing something rough. You make a difference in every life that you touch. It is MORE than enough. It is everything!

    ReplyDelete

oh so, well, appreciated! ;) loving those comments, friends!